(AEC LEA.DM) Design and create video games
Become a Technical Designer
Program entirely in English
WHAT PROGRAM TO FOLLOW TO BECOME A TECHNICAL DESIGNERThe Technical Design program prepares students to become game creators at a technical level. The TECHNICAL DESIGNER works at translating in code all the game elements, levels and environments so that the final product is coherent, visually appealing and efficient. For these purposes, the technical game designer or technical level designer uses various development software applications and programming languages to create gameplay mechanics, features and levels.
FOR WHAT JOBS DOES THE TECHNICAL DESIGN PROGRAM PREPARE STUDENTS FOR ?Gameplay developer - Unity Developer - Mobile Developer - HTML5 Developer - Technical Game Designer - Technical Level Designer - Creative Director
WHAT ARE THE ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR THE TECHNICAL DESIGN PROGRAM?
- Present a compelling portfolio of a game and a level created with game editor software
- Justify a certain level in Mathematics: Secondary IV, Technical and Scientific option OR Secondary IV, Science option OR Secondary V, Cultural, Social and Technical option
- Pass a programming test to insure a sufficient programming level
WHAT ARE THE EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES OF THE TECHNICAL DESIGN PROGRAM ?
- Develop self-expression, creativity, initiative and entrepreneurial spirit that are required in international Video Game studios
- Master the principles underlying the techniques and the technology used in Video Game development
- Work in a team setting to learn how to effectively cooperate and solve production challenges
- Learn how to develop detailed video game mechanics using industry standard tools
WHAT ARE THE COMPETENCIES ACQUIRED IN THE TECHNICAL DESIGNER PROGRAM ?
- Analyze information about working in the field of computer science technology
- Use programming language
- Solve computer-related problems using mathematics
- Adapt to new videogame-compatible technologies
- Determine design choices for an optimal player's experience
- Develop gaming or simulation applications
- Adapt the design choices according to the project’s business model
- Interact in a professional setting
- Collaborate on the design of applications
WHAT ARE THE MEANS TO LEARN TECHNICAL DESIGN ?
- Theoretical and practical teaching : lectures, cours magistraux, application exercises, practical exercises and tutorials
- Production projects : monitoring and supervision by teachers during the production of game projects
WHAT ARE THE EVALUATION METHODS ?
- Continuous assessment (case studies, scenarios, presentations, demonstrations)
- Project presentations to teachers and industry professionals
- Drafting, presentation and defense of a professional experience report
IS IT POSSIBLE TO COMPLETE THE TECHNICAL DESIGN PROGRAM WITH THE WORK STUDY RHYTHM ?The first year of the program is a full time year so that students can properly prepare their introduction into the industry. The second year classes are given in the Work Study format, with mandatory validation of professional experience (internships, missions...).
WHAT DIPLOMA IS GIVEN ONCE THE TECHNICAL DESIGN PROGRAM IS COMPLETE ?The Technical Designer Program gives students access to the AEC LEA.DM "Technical Designer" diploma.
A project-oriented pedagogy
- 1st year
- 2d year
Base Programming | Fundamentals of Object Oriented Programming | 2D Programming | Gameplay Programming | Prototyping
Level and Game Design Base | Juiciness | Introduction to UI-UX | Game History | Creativity Practice
- Sciences & Technology
2D Mathematics | Animate | HTML5 | High Level Languages (AS3, Haxe, ES6)
- Career support
Shoot them up
- Pedagogical means
Theoretical and practical teaching: lectures, application exercises, practical work, tutorials
Production of projects: monitoring and supervision by teachers during the realization of projects (year project, graduation project)
- Evaluation Methods
Presentation of projects (end-of-year project, end-of-study project) before a school or professional jury
In-depth Object Oriented Programming | Model Conception | 2D & 3D Programming | Client-Server Programming
Game Design | Level Design | Juiciness | Introduction to Video Game Economy Models | Data Analysis | UI-UX | Game History | Creativity Practice
- Sciences & Technology
3D Mathematics | Introduction to 3D | Unity | Unreal Engine | High Level Languages (C#)
- Career Support
Inter-curriculum Final YearProject
- Internship / Professional Experience
At least 300 hours
What students and companies say...
Projet de fin d'études
$CA 23 000
Registration for admission tests
The Admission Guide helps you to prepare your application and get ready for the written and/or oral tests
April 27, 2021